Fracture.

An information poster to showcase my rhythm game score during quarantine.

Project overview.

Fracture is a fascinating project that started in 2020 to collect data in our lives and visualize them in poster form. As COVID-19 swiped through the world in March 2020, ArtCenter has decided to move class online. As a result, I returned home to Taiwan and was required to quarantine for 14 days. During the 14 days, I collected all the scores from three different rhythm games I played, including Cytus II, Arcaea, and Lanota. I then compiled them and visualized them into a compelling narrative. The project challenged me to work with big data and present them in a concise form.

Timeline.

Spring 2020.

Skills.

Information design, Data visualization, poster design.

Software.

Illustrator, Google Sheets.

Contribution.

Personal Project.

Design challenge.

Collect, analyze, and design a information poster of a set of data that showcase parts of my life.

Utilizing the whole poster space to create an immersive narrative.

To fully immerse the audience into the poster, I decided to make the whole poster into a scale itself. The different size of each tile represents the amount of time I spend on each game. Detailed information about the game and the game score are shown within the tiles. A short description and key legend are included with the extra spaces for the audience as a reference. Moreover, each tile had an image of the physical gameplay, so viewers who aren’t familiar can easily understand it.

Poster details.

Data collection.

Getting into a habit of screenshotting every play.

Import, organize, and turn all the screenshots into data.

After collecting the data, I compiled them onto a Google Sheets document. I recorded everything, so I have more options as I progress into the ideation phase. I recorded the game, score rank, note accuracy (perfect, good, and bad), passed or failed, full combo, high score, and the song name. With all these parameters in Google Sheets, I can easily reorganize the document by using the sorting function. Moreover, I’ve also begun to use the visualization feature in Google Sheets to quickly generate graphics for each column to brainstorm the narrative I want to tell. In the end, I’ve decided to showcase everything except for song names as it won’t enhance the story but create confusion with all the different song titles.

Design a narrative, and transform them into compelling visuals.

Visual research.

Finding a style that best represents the three games.

Design exploration.

Polygon

A printed magazine for an online gaming blog - Polygon.

#PrintDesign